Friday, March 1, 2013

New York!

For the first time, I was in New York City. The school went as a day trip. Just for funnies.

Since the predeparture meeting started at 5:45 a.m, I decided to wake up at 4:30. And I did, it's just that I ended up spending 20 minutes on my hair. So I left my apartment at 5:40. haha, I got to Marsh at 5:50 and I was quickly filled in and directed to my bus. haha. It wasn't that bad actually because there were a couple of other students running late.

We ended up leaving Marsh at 6:30/6:45 instead of 6:00. But it was alright. I was sitting in the second row so I was close to a TV. We watched "That's My Boy" which was very much an Adam Sandler film. Our bus driver was very cool. There were a number of times when I thought we were going to get in an accident, but he managed to avoid it. Driving in New York seems crazy!

When we reached the city, we were free to just explore. Only rule was not to get arrested and to show up at the pick-up location at 6:30. Since I had tickets to see "Silence! The Musical!" at 2, I had about two hours to explore before the show started. I ended upstumbling upon this park with free ice skating and all these statues dedicated to famous writers – including one for Gertrude Stein, the “mother of the modern short storytelling” and an important figure in gay history in America. Two things that are really important to me, so it was refreshing to just find that.Not exactly fate, but like finding 20 dollars in a pocket. It was nice and felt very New York-y.

After the park I got hungry so I headed towards the theatre “Silence!” was taking place and I found this restaurant that was morgue themed – which appealed to my love of allthings macabre. I ended up ordering a burger with chicken fingers called “Severed Hand,” with the burger being the palm and the chicken as the fingers.It was deadly delicious.



 
  
Then it was time for the musical, which was beyond amazing. It was wicked funny, messing aroundwith the story. The plot stayed the same as the movie, but the jokes were outrageous and extreme or just plain silly. Like, having the only African-American cast member be the maid and having her character say “why I gotta be the maid?” Or the song about the Senator’s kidnapped daughter just being her name sung over and over again. I actually bought the soundtrack because I needed it on my iPod. Haha.

But! What may be even more exciting was I met (and took a photo with) an Internet celebrity before the musical started. On the bus trip to NYC, some of us were joking about how we were going to meet up with Jay-Z and Beyonce, and while that ideais ridiculous, it’s New York, there are famous people there. It was just surprising to see Sketch Comedienne Jenny Jaffe in the audience. She was so nice and humble; it just made the trip even better. I feel that most of the trip has an “once-in-a-lifetime” feel to it.

After the musical, I went to the National Photography Museum which had an exhibit on apartheid in South Africa. It was ironic that the National Photography Museum doesn't allow photographs, but it makes sense. The actual images and videos that were on display were really emotional and awe-inspiring. There were the expected So-In-So at the Signing of Something, but there were magazine covers dedicated to South Africans who were overcoming the laws in order to achieve their dreams, photos of shootings at schools, videos of police beating protestors. It was an intense experience, but I loved the photography aspect.

Then I went to the NYC library because it's me and yes I'm going to the library. They were having an exhibit on Dickens characters, but when I got there, they were closing. So since it was almost time to head back to the pick-up location, I headed towards a bar. Cause, I'm in NYC, of course I'm drinking. It was actually kind of uneventful and awkward. I ended up leaving the bar without finishing my drink. hahaha

The ride back home feature us stopping in CT and me begging my classmates not to leave me at the rest stop cause I was going to lay down on a bench. haha. I'm really glad I got to go and it was a great trip.


Love always,
Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment